01 Dec Home Maintenance Methods Could Keep Your HVAC System Happy
Residents of Indianapolis live with drastically varying weather. Winters are icy, summers bring blistering heat, and autumn and spring swing from one extreme to the other. Here are some home maintenance suggestions that will help keep your family comfortable all year long:
- Gutters are placed around your roof to collect rain and snow, redirecting water away from the foundation, preventing cracks. Every fall, gutters and spouts should be cleaned, inspected and repaired. Tighten brackets so they will support the weight of snow without breaking.
- A watertight roof protects your home the same way our skin protects us from the environment. Leaky roofs cause expensive damage to the wiring, plumbing and furnace. Make sure to include roof inspection and repair in your annual home maintenance.
- During the annual HVAC service, ask the technician to inspect the outside of your home. Cracks in the exterior of your home will drive up your heat expenses and cause icy drafts. Look along the window frames, doors and places where wiring and plumbing enter the home. Also, examine the foundation of your home. Fissures let water drain into your basement, causing structural damage and ruining your possessions. The spaces need to be completely caulked before winter.
- The furnace and ductwork require annual servicing. The technician will make sure that everything is running smoothly, saving you from expensive emergency calls for help in the middle of the winter. Not only will the system work better, cleaning out the ductwork will improve the quality of your indoor air. Dust and other debris accumulates while unused.
- The air filters should be changed monthly. Fall visits from your HVAC company are an excellent time for a technician to change them for you and look around to make sure everything is working the way it should. If you have allergies in your family, consider a higher grade filter to keep your air as clean as possible.
At Airtron Heating & Air Conditioning, our technicians have been working with greater Indy area homeowners since 1971. Call us today and we’ll help you get your home ready for the winter!